Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Akumal - Baby Turtles

Admittedly, the Southern-California in me got a little excited when I first saw this - Don't see it? Here, look closer -
So, the So-Cal girl in me says, "Bonfire ring!" Right?

(My next thought: "Do they have marshmallows in Mexico?")

Good thing I took a closer look before I gathered the wood...That's right - a turtle nest! Very cool.

The nests outside of our condo did not hatch while we were there, but I did have the awesome experience of seeing some baby turtles digging out of their nest on one of my morning walks. Luckily a nice Mexican man and woman were gathering them up and putting them in water until they could release them later in the day (so the birds wouldn't eat them for breakfast!).

Note: No, this is NOT turtle soup!

Another Mexico memory to add to the stash of "I am different for having seen/experienced...in Mexico!"