Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Immigration: The University Student Perspective

As a more "mature" university student, I sometimes wish I could record class moments for the rest of the world to experience. For example, in my Advanced Spanish Practice & Composition class last week we were assigned the topic of U.S. Immigration: What are the problems? And how can they be fixed? We then shared thoughts and ideas (in Spanish) with the class and debated their efficacy. Here are some of the ideas:

1. We (the U.S.) are a rich country, so just give them money and they will stop coming over here.
2. When they come over here (to the U.S.), they need to commit to following the U.S.A. futbol (soccer) team - that will help bring us all together.
3. Get rid of the Peso and the Dollar and come up with a shared currency for the U.S. & Mexico.4. Send U.S. political support to the Mexican government in the form of advisors, mentors, etc.

5. Wipe out, completely, the current Mexican government and replace it with politicians who are not corrupt.*Let me point out that at least 50% of the class is native-Mexican, another 25% is American-Mexican, and the other 25% is pure-bred gringo.

2 comments:

craig said...

What was your idea?

Stay adventurous,
Craig

julie said...

Great question. I think I could write a thesis on this...literally. My major in college is Mexican-American history, and so the topic fascinates me and I can get a little passionate about it. :) My thoughts on this are two-fold: 1) U.S.: I believe that for the U.S., our only choice is HOW we respond/control illegal immigration. I won't go too into depth on that, but I do believe there needs to be control.

2) Mexico: Mexico's future is up to the Mexicans. It is in THEIR hands. And yet, I have to say that a lot of the Mexican people I speak with really do not feel that it is. Just like in my class, they believe the U.S. should step in and DO something...and yet, when we do (ie: Iraq) we are called world dominators. So, I wish I knew how to encourage/enlighten/uplift/support, etc. the Mexican people to work to make lasting changes in their own country. It's not an easy fix. But they need to be the ones to come up with the answer. And they need to be the ones to enact whatever that answer may be. You cannot force change on anyone. Period. It has to come from within. Self-empowerment.

See...now I'm getting long-winded.

Hopefully this conveys the gist of my thoughts.

What about you?

Reading: Immigration: The University Student PerspectivePost Link to Twitter